Sunday, July 19, 2009

First Long Run Day

Oh my gosh! Thats all I can say right now. I woke up early this morning (and by early I mean 7:30) to go for my first long run in a bout 2 1/2 months. I told myself last night that in order for me to succeed in my first marathon I DO need to get my long runs in. No matter how much I don't want to get up in the morning...I have to, I have to, I have to. So I did...It took me some time to actually wake. I was starving...I proceeded to have me some cereal, just a little to curb the hunger and I had a cup of coffee to try and wake myself. It really didn't work. I got dressed, put on my fancy new water belt that I bought yesterday and out the door I went.
Like i have said before that first mile is always the worst. Today the first 2 felt horrible. I was so tired , my legs seemed to be sleeping still. I concentrated on just getting in the eight miles I had planned. I wasn't running for a time. I am supossed to be at a 10:30 mile for a long run but I wasn't there today. I was between 10:30 and 11:30. When I hit that 3-5 mile mark I was closer to 10:30 and by the time 6-9 came around I was back to the 11-11:15 ish mark. That is fine for me. I have to allow myself some flexibility but at the same time keep in mind that in order to finish that marathon in the time hoping that I do need to try and pick it up a little. I have to take in to account as well the hills. I keep forgetting that I have hills the whole entire way..up and down..whichslows my time down a bit. After all this has been said and done..I ran 9 miles this morning!
GO ME! I finished with a time of 1:41:14. I did take some water breaks so add a couple minutes into that but I still did ok.
I wouls also like to mention as a side note that I miss my BRA friends..I know I keep saying it but today I was also reminded about one of them BOB as we like to call her! My plan for the MCM is to try an keep up with her. She is about the same pace as me but doesn't have all the knee problems like me and has already ran 2 marathons before. She is no stranger to the grueling 26.2 miles! SOthinking about BOB helps to me to accomplish these long runs ...I don't want to let her or myself down! :)
My totals now for week 3 is 20 miles!!! (11 short runs and 1-9 mile long run)
Heres to the start of week 4!!!

1 comment: