Sunday, July 5, 2009

First Run

Here it goes! This is my first time blogging. Its all new to me. One of my friends recommended it especially since I just moved to a new state and I am training for an upcoming marathon. My husband got a job transfer and now we are in this new state, no friends yet, no furniture or belongings either. Right now I have my running to keep me occupied.
So whats my background on that...well its been on and off since high school, but I really started running hard last June. I joined a running froup in September and then from there ran some races and met new friends. In October I ran my first 5k since 1997, not sure of what my exact time was but somewhere around 26:45. Then I wanted to run a half marathon in December but an overuse injury in my right knee prevented my from accomplishing that feat. After some physcial therapy and rest I returned and ran the Gasparilla half Marathon at the end of January. It was great! It was my first time running a half and I finished with a time of 2:20. It was hard don't get me wrong, I even walked some of it, but in the end it made me want to do another one and improve my time. I then did a 10k and ran that at around 59:54 ish and came in third in my age group. One more race after that was a 5 miler and my time for that was 44:54. For that race I had a goal and I came in under it so I was happy. Whats next for me? Well it the Marine Corps Marathon in October. Officially 15 more weeks left till race day! So here begins my journey to race day!

The first week of training for me is over, and I am starting the second week. Because of my move with my family, running was put off a bit and guess what? another injury I have been overcoming in the other knee. Last week I ran Tuesday (3 miles), Wednesday(3 miles), and Friday(4 miles) for a total of 10 miles. Not good by any means, but I am starting off a little slow so that I don't rehurt the knee. Along with these miles comes hills. This is Alabama which means no flat roads anymore. So those 10 miles came along with about 6 hills each day. Not something I am used to, seeing that hills in Flroida are hard to come by. I just think, "ok I can do this, I can train different muscles, work harder at the hills and the flat roads will come easier and faster." We will see if that strategy works out!
Running alone has not been fun. I don't have my running friends here to help motivate me and I haven't been able to go to the "new" running group that meets here in Alabama one day a week. Its been lonely and I feel that only people that have the same goals as me and who like to run can understand my frustration. I can give up so easily by myself! I try not to but it is hard! Maybe this blog can help keep me accountable and trying to stay in touch with my friends back home will help. Its Sunday now and its alomst time to run for the day! Stay tuned for next time....

No comments:

Post a Comment